4/23/2020 - COVID-19 Changes:
On Monday, April 27, EveryStep will open a dedicated unit for hospice patients who have COVID-19. The unit will be located in the Bright Kavanagh Center (in the Glazer-Gurt Wing)and will be exclusively available to hospice patients with COVID-19 who need 24/7 care.
If the organizations or programs you work with serve people who are facing end-of-life illness, are diagnosed with COVID-19 and need 24/7 care, our EveryStep Hospice COVID-19 Unit offers a safe, home-like option in a beautiful setting. Please contact EveryStep Hospice at 515-333-5800 with questions. All patients are screened at admission to determine if special cares and protections should go in place for treating COVID-19 – either in the comfort of their own homes, or in ours.
3/20/220 - COVID-19 Changes:
We have made the decision to close all EveryStep offices to the public, EXCEPT the following locations:
EveryStep’s 9th Street offices, 1111 9th St., and Bright Kavanagh Center, 3000 Easton Blvd., both in Des Moines, will be closed to the public starting Friday, March 20.
- Kavanagh House on 56th Street, 900 56th St., Des Moines
- Greater Regional Hospice Home, 1111 Country Club Dr., Creston
Our offices in Centerville, Council Bluffs, Creston, Knoxville, Mount Ayr, Mt. Pleasant, Osceola, West Des Moines and Winterset, as well as Bright Kavanagh Center, will continue to have vital staff present, can be reached by phone or fax, and will accept critical deliveries of supplies. However, the offices will not be open to the general public.
Effective March 17, EveryStep has cancelled or postponed all community events through May 16, at minimum.
Effective March 16, all in-person volunteer services or visits have been suspended until further notice. Many of our volunteers are at high risk, so we are proactively taking steps to protect their health – and the health of the people we serve. To view a list of volunteer opportunities that you can do from home, click here.
Hospice House Visitors
Effective March 23, EveryStep has revised its visitor guidelines at its Kavanagh House on 56th Street in Des Moines and Greater Regional Hospice Home in Creston. To protect your loved one and our healthcare workers:
- Our hospice houses will be open/unlocked from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. To visit your loved one in the evening or on weekends, please ring the doorbell, and a staff person will greet you.
- All visitors to our hospice houses will have their temperature taken upon entrance. They will also be screened for being exposed to someone with COVID-19 or having any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath (or other respiratory symptoms), or other signs of illness. If fever or respiratory symptoms are present, the visitor will be asked to leave and encouraged to seek medical attention. We will offer alternative mechanisms for the patient and visitor to interact, such as Microsoft Teams or simply by a phone call.
- We are limiting entry to only two visitors for each hospice house patient, at a time.
- Because children don’t always show typical symptoms of the virus (fever and cough), we are limiting access to adults 18 years or older. We recognize that it may be important for some children to visit a loved one for closure. If you feel such a need exists, please ask to speak with the hospice house director or other leader on staff, who can safely accommodate your request.
- Visitors are asked to remain in the patient’s room as much as possible, and to keep personal belongings in an out-of-the-way area within the patient’s room.
MATERNAL CHILD HEALTH PROGRAM provides nursing visits to pregnant and parenting women living in Dallas and Polk Counties. Services include prenatal and postpartum health education and child development screening. Interpretation services are available.
OUTREACH Specialists assist uninsured families, children, and pregnant women in obtaining health care coverage and finding a doctor or dentist. Services include answering questions about available insurance options, assisting with completing Hawk-I or Medicaid applications, advocacy, community referrals, EveryStep Dental Voucher Program for children.
EveryStep Care & Support Services
Main Phone: (515) 288-1516
Fax: (515) 288-0437
1111 9th Street
Languages Available: English, Spanish, interpretation available
Intake: In-person interview
Eligibility: Pregnant or post-partum woman and children identified as needing additional health screenings and assessments
Documents Required: Photo ID, proof of income, insurance if available
Hours: Mon-Fri 7:45 am -4:30 pm
- Polk County
- Dallas County