Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Program Listing

New Search
  • Polk County General Assistance

    Agency: Polk County Iowa Offices

    General Assistance provides temporary assistance for basic or special needs to low income persons who reside in Polk County.

    RENTAL ASSISTANCE (Potential First Month's Rent Assistance as well) may be available to those in need. For First Month's Rent - Must be able to prove the following - property must have a valid housing certificate, must be able to show that housing is affordable, utilities must be set up in applicants name and if newly employed, must provide 2-3 check stubs.

    **FOR UTILITY ASSISTANCE: November 1-April 30 anyone seeking help for Utilities MUST go through the LIHEAP program first. Those applying for Utility Assistance from G.A. must have an acceptance or denial letter from LIHEAP. Must have a disconnect notice and 12 month billing and payment history from the utility company.

    CREMATION EXPENSE ASSISTANCE may be available to those who meet the income guidelines.

    HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND FURNITURE may be available to those that need assistance with beds, refrigerators or stoves.

    MEDICAL EXPENSE ASSISTANCE may be available for medical supplies (no longer helps with prescription costs) and assistance with transportation to out of town appointments.

    MORTGAGE PAYMENT ASSISTANCE may be available to those needing help with their mortgage payment.

    PROPERTY TAX PAYMENT ASSISTANCE may be available to assist elderly (aged 65 and older) and disabled homeowners who may qualify for suspension of property taxes. 

    TRAVELER'S ASSISTANCE may provide transient transportation expenses to person stranded in Polk County for 24 hours or less. Applicant may be eligible if they are not a resident of Polk County and is traveling to another destination where he/she has family or other housing available to them. 

    • Main Phone:
      • (515) 286-2088
      • General Assistance
    • Main Phone:
      • (515) 286-3385
      • Cremation Expense Assistance
    • Main Phone:
      • (515) 286-3133
      • Property Tax Suspension
    • Main Phone:
      • (515) 286-2088
      • Traveler's Assistance
    • Main:
    • Website:

    • Polk County Department of Community, Family and Youth Services
      Administration: (515) 286-3434
      General Assistance: (515) 286-2088
      Property Tax Suspension: (515) 286-3133
      Family Enrichment Center: (515) 286-3406
      Fax: (515) 323-5246
      Polk County River Place
      Des Moines, IA 50310

    Agency: Polk County Iowa Offices

    Languages Available: English, other languages upon request

    Fees: None

    Intake: Call or walk in for services

    Eligibility: Must meet income guidelines and criteria - see notes

    Documents Required: Valid state issued photo ID, income guidelines apply, statement showing what is owed (whether rent, utilities, etc.), for utility help must have a disconnect notice and 12 month billing/payment statement from the utility company

    Hours: Mon-Fri 7:30 am-4:30 pm

    Areas Served:
    • Polk County

  • Powered by: skyClutch Logo